Using the Small Claims Court to collect your debts in Ontario.
Time: 9 am to 4 pm
This completely REVISED & UPDATED one-day program gives the participant an overview of the overall process involved in collecting overdue debts using the Small Claims Courts in Ontario.
In a do-it-yourself approach this course, which is completely UPDATED and REVISED with the changes that occured recently, teaches the nuances of filing a suit in Ontario's Small Claims Court and the process involved in order to get paid through common enforcements. Getting the judgment might be easy but collecting the money thereafter may still be a different story.
Commonly, Small Claims Courts in Canada provide means for the average person to resolve simple disputes concerning money or property with individual, merchants and customers for amounts up to $35,000 in Ontario without having to hire a lawyer. Small Claim Courts are generally deemed to be faster, cheaper and more informal than higher courts.
This workshop will be taught with simulated cases to demonstrate the flow, the forms and the process-map involved in using the Small Claims Court in Ontario.
The course is intense yet enjoyable and practical.
Each participant receives excellent course material (with a CD-ROM containing the NEW RULES, NEW FORMS and Relevant Small Claims Court reference material) and is awarded a 'Certificate of Completion' at the end of the course.
Who should attend:
This seminar will be of particular benefit to those in the credit and collections field, a small business owner or anyone who is planning on using the small claims to recover amounts of up to $25,000
- Overview of Ontario Small Claims Court
- To Sue or not to Sue?
- How much to sue for?
- Statute of Limitations
- Help available at Courts
- Preparing the claim and serving it
- Defense and Defendant Claim
- Time-lines and Notice of Motions
- Pre-trial Settlement Conference or getting to Trial
- Trial Preparation
- Understanding the trial procedure and essential evidence rules.
- Increasing your chances of success
- Obtaining judgment
- Enforcing the judgment
What you will learn:
- By attending this seminar, you should:
- Be able to get a general understanding of the legal process involved in collecting your debts.
- Be able to decide if a particular amount is worth taking to court
- Be able to negotiate better with your debtors by using and understanding the common legal jargon
- Be able to gather quality information for asset evaluation during enforcements
- Be able to navigate your way when suing someone in Small Claims
- Be better equipped to deal and communicate with a legal counsel should the need arise to use one.
Our Course Instructor:
Our course instructors have solid practical experience and are experts in the areas surrounding corporate credit,collection, legal and risk management. They have instructional styles that make difficult concepts easy to comprehend and are trained to impart a great overall learning experience. That is the reason why we unconditionally offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee!
Other Course Details:
- The seminar fee includes all seminar material, lunch and refreshments
- There is a SPECIAL TEAM SAVINGS provision when two or more members from the same organization register for this program at the same time for the same date. For this particular course SAVE $20 per participating member.
- Upon completion a participant can apply for the membership to the CREDIT GURU ALUMNI. This is our web-based Alumni.
- Fees and dates advertised for this course are subject to change and Credit Guru Inc's liability is limited to the reimbursement of the paid Seminar fee.
- CANCELLATION POLICY: If for valid reasons you are unable to attend a workshop for which you are registered, you may send a substitute or receive a credit memo towards a future workshop. If you cancel your registration up to five business days before the workshop, your registration fee will be refunded less a $10 enrollment administration fee.
Nonattendance will incur the full seminar fee and no refunds will be applicable.
PRODUCT CODE: SCC05